Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Autumn...

“Summer ends, and Autumn comes, and he who would have it otherwise would have high tide always and a full moon every night”

~ Hal Borland

Today I went out to Elijah Bristow State Park, just east of Pleasant Hill and just a block north of Hwy 58. I was hoping to do some autumn color shots. The lower elevation trees just don't get the explosion of colors that they do in the higher elevations. Still, it was a nice day. Typical for an Oregon October... a bit of sun, a bit of rain and mostly cloudy, mid 60s... and I had the place almost all to myself. There was a parks crew doing some tree work,a fella walking with his dog and 2 woman riding horses. I offered to shoot them with their horses and they rode away like bats out of hell screaming "don't shoot! don't shoot!"

Not really... but its one of those scenarios that always plays in the back of my mind when I ask folks about taking their pictures: "Hey, do you mind if I shoot you?" or if I mention I did some shooting and got a couple of cute kids...

The women declined, one saying she wasn't sure her horse would stop. Hmmm... hoping she was carrying extra food if that was really the case.

Elijah Bristow State Park is one of the first parts of the area we explored when Darcy and the kids and I moved here way back when the chilluns was real little (and still cute). Its located next to the Middle Fork of the Willamette (Will-am-ette for you tourists that don't want to sound like you've never been here before) and is a nice place, with a couple of loop trails running through the forest. Popular with horseback riders (the horse shit on the trail gives that group away) but not a place that I've ever seen crowded. Its all pretty flat. There are some big old trees in there. Western Red Cedars, Big Leaf Maple, Alders and Cottonwoods and some massive old Oaks.

Even though I was only there for a couple of hours I still ended up shooting over 100 images which I culled down to 80 when I got home. No way I could have afforded to shoot that many images when I was shooting film... man... my wallet loves digital.

I'm working a gig tomorrow. Assisting another photographer (a real professional type) with a shoot at some professional office here in Eugene. I'm assuming its going to be all portrait type work, I'll be helping with set up, lighting... whatever he needs me to do.

I'm still looking for that big break in the business that will begin to really pay the bills and make me a decent wage. I've given up on thinking some rich fairy godmother will grant me 3 wishes. There's plenty of rainbows about these days, now that the rain has started but I've never found that pot of gold. And I missed my chance at Hollywood. Really. I can blame that one on my daughter. A casting call in Portland a few weeks ago for a new Jennifer Anniston film that I had to pass on. But its probably for the best. I mean shes a beautiful woman but lordy... I can't stand her old TV show Friends and I would've had to say something... it just wouldn't have worked between us. Poor girl, I hope she gets over it...

So here's a peek at Elijah Bristow State Park:









No comments: