Sunday, April 6, 2008

This, that... and s'more...

~~~

“Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do”

~ Wendell Berry

~~~



Some days... and yesterday was one of those days...

Its started off normal enough... get up, make coffee, turn on the moring news, fire up the 'puter (Mac), let the dog out, wake the boy... go to work.

Work was normal enough until a call come over our radios... "um... hey Rich, some guy is ummm... walking out with a jacket, with the tags still hanging from it." Rich, our assistant manager wasn't on the floor and being an old hand at such things, I headed out the door not wanting this creep to get away with a theft from our store. He's heading across the parking lot and I'm probably 50' feet behind him. He says, "hey don't folow me, this is my coat. I bought it a week ago." And so concerned with fashion is he that the new tags still hanging on it flutter in the wind. Rich catches up with me and we follow creep across the lot and we stop at our property line. We watch him walk down the street and Rich tells someone to call the cops. Policy is we don't confront. But the fool only walked away 1/2 a block and headed down a driveway.

Long story short... police came, video was reviewed, creep was caught, coat was returned. Got a "good job gang" from Rich.

Work the rest of the day, come home, make coffee, heat up left over pizza, make sure son is still alive, turn on 'puter... hang out for about and hour and head down to Eugene's landmark McDonald Theater to work a show.

I have been a volunteer 1st aid/crisis worker doing event medicine (RockMed to you old timers) for over a decade now. The group I'm now working with, Harmony Event Medicine came into being a few years ago when a few of us who had volunteered under the AVIVA rockmed banner started a new organization. (Also see Harmony's MySpace page) I work shows and act as the organization's sole senior *cough* advisor. Imagine that, instead of putting me out to pasture this group values the experience of age. I know... I'm just as shocked. But RockMed is an old tradition now, offering a medical presence at concerts and events in order to minimize and treat the injuries that do occur at concerts.

Anyway... last night was Tech N9ne, a rapper out of Kansas City. I've worked almost all techN9ne's shows at the McD and I never look forward to it. I'm not a big fan of alcohol being consumed to the point of stupid. But, every Tech N9ne show, we get at least a share of stupid. Last night was no exception. Except, we didn't have to clean up after some drunk yayhoo who goes and gets sick somewhere in the the theater. A couple of fights, a few drunks... and very young girls dressing in what I can only describe as haute putain, me sentez-vous? I just don't see a whole lot of redeeming social value in the whole schtick of this type of rap. It ain't my thang. Swearin' and acting tuff, disrespecting women... nah, I'll pass, thanks.

So that was my day yesterday... I'm hoping today is better (which it already is... we've had breakfast, farm fresh eggs bought from one of my customers at work, thick sliced smoked bacon... mmmm...). We have scattered showers and some sunshine breaking in now and again, its in the mid 50s or so...

One of these days I'll havta talk about the Two-Row Wampum Belt... and what it means for me.

Until we meet again
kay sh'nook sh'mah.

~~~



“The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its renewal is our only hope.”

~ Wendell Berry

~~~

No comments: