Wednesday, January 21, 2009

another Sunday...

~~~

“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.”

- Martin Luther King, Jr.
~~~

aaah... sunshine. It has been a rare commodity these days. Foggy and cold is what it has been. Up in the hills and over on the coast the weather has been sunny and (winter)warm. Some days it is like living in the San Joaquin Valley again. If you have never experienced the Valley's tule fog... well... you are only missing impenetrable gray. In fact I remember days when the temperature would get below 32º and the fog would be a frozen mist. When you step outside on the worst of those days it is essential to carry an ice-pick just so you can chisel a tunnel through the fog. I swear...
~~~

I took the kids up to their mom's place in Portland last weekend. When I went back on Sunday to pick them up I took my camera and drove up Hiway 99E which , when heading north from Eugene goes through Junction City, Harrisburg, Halsey, Shedd and Tangent before getting to Albany (which is where I jump over to I-5). I love the drive. It is a 55 MPH speed limit and runs through the rural part of the Willamette (Will-am-ette dammit) Valley.

So as I was driving I would come to spots I've noted before and just aim my camera out the window and shoot. Here are a few of those photos:













~~~

BTW... I've added a link to my friend Bill Moore's blog on my list in the left hand column. Bill and I are political opposites but we find common ground in our photography. Check it out: Looking through my eyes ~ ~ photos by Bmoore3

~~~

And speaking of photography...

I went over to the coast Monday. I responded to a Craig'sList ad looking for folks to display their photography in a new restaurant in Mapleton. I didn't get the first shot at displaying but I am #2! My photos will be there until about the middle of March. Stop in, say "hi" to Jesse and Marcy, and buy a cup of coffee. Oh yeah... and buy a photo.

So... if you happen to be in Oregon, along the coast anywhere near Florence or Mapleton stop in and see what I do in a larger format than I display here. Framed and matted even!

The photos are hanging in the Mapleton Caffeination Station, located in Mapleton, along Hwy 126 and sits between Frank's and the Alpha Bit Restaurant. The owners, Jesse and Marcy serve Cafe Mam, an organic, fair trade, shade grown coffee from Chiapas, Mexico. They serve fresh homemade baked goods, have comfortable seating and a deck out back. Tell 'em Allan sent you!



Caffeination Station



Jesse (the owner) and Marty



inside





and the back deck


~~~

“Photography records the gamut of feelings written on the human face, the beauty of the earth and skies that man has inherited, and the wealth and confusion man has created. It is a major force in explaining man to man.”

~ Edward Steichen

~~~

No comments: