Friday, August 31, 2007

Family...

"Wealth stays with us a little moment if at all: only our characters are steadfast, not our gold."

~ Euripides

I've been blessed with a wonderful and loving family. My parents, Sig and Vivian, both now passed away, were great, ordinary folks. My brothers and sister, Bob, David and Lori are great folks as well. I've got 2 wonderful kids (although I miss the days when they were little, loving and unpretentious) and a host of friends I feel truly gifted to have as friends. My brother-in-law Curt is as good as gold and like another brother. Some friends, like Marty and Patty Prisbrey are as much family to me as any blood relative. Marty is actually closer to me as a brother/friend than my blood brothers, he knows me... too well.

A couple of weeks ago I was the photographer for my niece Kirsten's wedding. She married J.D. Frichette, a young man I truly like and I can tell is a good guy. I hadn't shot a wedding in over 20 years. I was a bit nervous (but not too much) and I did a job for them I am proud to call mine. I did miss some shots, I did not get some shots and some shots could have been better. But when shooting hundreds of pictures within a few hours, under less than great lighting conditions, there are going to be some images that just don't work. But there are definitely some images that I absolutely love.

Kirsten is a beautiful young woman and I love the heck out of her. I mean I've known her all of her life. It was a rainy day up on the Olympic Peninsula and I was hoping for better weather so I could do all the posed shots outside. Well, as much as I get along with nature (having long ago established a very close relationship) I was stuck with the wet and gray Northwest climate I remember as a kid. I mean I don't know if I knew what the sun was until we moved from Aberdeen down to Bakersfield, California, where I learned very quickly what the sun is.

Anyway... I did get a short break in the rain before the ceremony and I rushed Kirsten outside to shoot her portrait in her wedding gown and I got a shot I absolutely love. So here dear friends, is my niece Kirsten, on her wedding day. Love ya niece!



(and yes, dear friends, I am available to shoot weddings, book my services now! allan_e@efn.org )

No comments: