Sunday, May 4, 2008

hmmm...

~~~


~~~

“I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief... For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.”

~ Wendell Berry
~~~

I'm just sitting here at the computer, coffee is made and not much on my mind (something I've been blamed of many times in the past). So pardon me while I just roam the mental landscape...

Willie Nelson, probably my favorite "country" singer (country is in quotes there because while he is country he also eclipses boundaries like no one else I know), turned 75 the other day. Happy Birthday Willie! Call me next time you come thru town...



38 years ago today 4 young students at Kent State University died in a barrage of bullets fired by National Guard troops. Not many know that 10 days later at Jackson State, in Mississsippi, two students were shot and killed and 12 injured by gunfire (the FBI estimated 460 rounds were fired) from 75 city policemen and Mississippi State Police officers armed with carbines, submachine guns, shotguns, service revolvers and some personal weapons.




And me? In May of 1970 I was goofing off, pretending to go to Junior College. I was bored with school, eighteen years old and living close to SoCal beaches. There was sun and girls in bikinis... who needed college? Politics were not part of my life.

...sigh...

But I wouldn't go back. Nope, not a chance.

Today is Eugene's second running of the Eugene Marathon. Of course that is just a run in the park (literally if you know Eugene and the course of this year's marathon, a lot of it following the Willametter River). I was eating lunch in a sports bar the other day and on one of the TVs I saw folks running in the desert.



Interesting I thought, thinking it was probably somewhere in the US Southwest. Hah! Not even close. These 800 or so runners were participating in the Marathon des Sables (this year's event was just a month ago), a marathon's marathon. This is a 6 day, 151 mile race. Through the Sahara desert of North Africa. The winning time was over 19 hours... Wow... the things one can learn sitting in a sports bar

I've got plants to plant today. The yard needs yarding, the house needs cleaning, the dishes need washing, laundry needs laundering... a boring day. Ain't it grand? I will leave you with some of my recent photos, shot here at home and over at Golden Garden Park:









No comments: