Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Dang...



























~ There are worlds of experience beyond the world of the aggressive man, beyond history, and beyond science. The moods and qualities of nature and the revelations of great art are equally difficult to define; we can grasp them only in the depths of our perceptive spirit.

- Ansel Adams, "Ansel Adams: Photographs"
~~~~~~~~~~~

Gads, I hope everyone has missed me! I was working on a writing project that while not profitable was educational and inspiring. I'll only say it was for an international organization for which I have a great deal of respect and hope to do more work with in the future.

The first picture here is one of my son Alex in a new 3 man band he is in, in their first public performance. They were allowed 3 songs and I'd say they kicked it pretty good. Good enough to be invited back to do it again. They were the only band, the rest of the music was a DJ's scratchin and thumpin'... (pssst... the band name is Touch 45) The second picture is an early spring sunset at my house. Sunsets are often mandatory meeting times for me and the kids, kind of an old family tradition.

It started for us when Robin was a toddler. We lived on an old ranch down in south central Oregon, about 15 miles north of Adel, just north of where the northern tip of the California/Nevada border butts up against Oregon. Weather permitting we'd go outside and walk the land at sunset, Robin sitting in my arms, head resting against my shoulder or leaning back to stare at clouds on fire. We'd watch the clouds and colors as they shifted towards darkness, just meandering... Surrounded by the the Warner Mountains to the west; Hart Mountain rising up to 8,000 feet to the north (our elevation at the ranch was a paltry 4500'); a sunset can literally last for hours and be near astounding each minute in this land of with a 360ยบ horizon.

(My friend Greg Burke has some gorgeous High Desert shots. Support the artists!)

I swear there is no more beautiful place in all the world than Oregon's high desert and it's Sagebrush Sea. Its the quiet. An ear popping quiet that is almost shocking coming from a place so noisy as the world of man in his cities. We could hear our neighbor's cattle across Crump Lake, some 5 miles away. The quiet so loud people notice. Out there somewhere will be my last rest. I know it in my bones...




So again, a gallery of sky. These images taken during the passing of some magnificnt thunderheads at sunset. The clouds rose soooo high... they caught the last full rays of the sun while below was shadow and rain. At one point they looked like they were lit from the inside...

























“Come, my friends,

'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.

Push off, and sitting well in order smite

The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds

To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths

Of all the western stars, until I die.”


~ Alfred, Lord Tennyson
~~~

1 comment:

Stella said...

This was a loveely blog post