Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Some o' this, some o' that...

~~~

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~ Mark Twain
~~~

aaah... phooey. Another bad week. More work lost.

...sigh...

So today I'm just doing some misc posting. A bit befuddled Iyam, but I know that as they say, "this too shall pass."

I've been meaning to share a website that my longtime friend, Greg Burke, shared with me. This link goes to the galleries of Manuel Libres Librodo Jr. Wow. This guy is outstanding. Cruise his galleries, there are many to choose from and his work... well, I'm shooting for this level of quality and proficiency. Let me know what you think of Manny's photography.

I received an email from young Bill Buck, he of Perfix Beach and Muhu Tasen fame. Bill is the young man I met many years ago at Grampa Semu's last foundation, Muhu Tasen. I talked about Bill in this post, beach bound... the Perfix place.

One of the really good parts of getting older is when I get to see someone who is much younger, that I knew when I was much younger and they were really young, and witness the work they are doing, knowing I may have played a part in their growth. How could I have known that some teenager sitting in the sweatlodge at Muhu Tasen watching those red hot stones come inside carried on a pitchfork by me some 20 years ago would touch on my life this far down the road? And that his interests are another example of how the earthbound traditional native America continues to slowly touch the hearts and minds of many Americans. I have no doubt that as much as the hippies were a monumental influence on the '60s and '70s so were the injuns. Tribes like the Hopi embraced the appearance of these headband wearing longhairs as part of their tradition's prophecies.

This world, on a personal level, is quite often incredibly small. I was talking to a close friend today about just that. We agreed that co-incidently this world is but a mote of dust in an incomprehensibly large universe... the scale of difference between the smallest and the largest is truly infinite. That line of thought gets me thinking about Tom Robbins' clockworks... Living in this immensity I really don't grasp boredom. There is just sooo much to do, always... and to know about the clockworks... reality is always stranger than fiction.

I digress. Again.

Bill Buck...

Bill sent me a link to his new website:

Bay Wild - Wildlife in Urban Areas

Here is the text from Bill's email:

Dear friends,

It’s been a long time coming and now BAY WILD, our website exploring wildlife in the Bay Area with videos and multimedia, is live on the web.

You may or may not know that since I was a lad, I’ve had a powerful commitment to ecology and this project fuses my background in environmental activism with my career in communications -- all converging on my home of 20 years, the San Franciscio Bay Area.

Our Bay Area has one million acres of open space and wildlife preserves, yet 490,000 acres are under threat of “suburbanization” -- the size of 16 San Franciscos. While there are good examples of healthy wildlife habitat, the threats of development, existing economic challenges and uncertainties of climate change will be putting new pressure on wildlife populations here and all over the world.

So we will bear witness to what’s really going on out there -- to provide insight into what’s working, examples that may assist urban areas around the world facing similar issues. And all with an entertaining style.

We’ve started the non-profit organization BAY WILD to administer these efforts and we'll continue to cover stories that highlight wildlife/human interactions -- with a focus on positive solutions.

So I hope you enjoy this beginning. Please take a look around the site and help us spread the word!


With just under 5 weeks left until the election I sure hope everyone living in the US who is of age is registered to vote. I know here in Eugene we get around 90% voter turnout for a national presidential election. How does your community do?

Use it or lose it.

Which of course leads to this statement I've become scarily fond of recently:

"Only (fill in number) days left to cancel the election. Emergency, emergency, emergency..."

My political trust level is running low these days...
~~~

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.”

~ Will Rogers

~~~

No comments: