Sunday, August 10, 2008

...sigh...

~~~

“I can do no other than be reverent before everything that is called life. I can do no other than to have compassion for all that is called life. That is the beginning and the foundation of all ethics.”

~ Albert Schweitzer
~~~



OK. I know somewhere out there is that person or company who can use my services as a photographer. I know that as a photographer I do good work. And I know I continue to get better. I am enjoying photography again in a way that exceeds any other point in all my past decades of pointing a lens and clicking a shutter. The darkroom was always fun and even the chemical smells were a familiar, enjoyable and comfortable part of my life.

But digital photography... is liberating far, far beyond what I had ever imagined. The ability to shoot and shoot... and shoot... and then to be able to play with an image and do things with it almost instantaneously with a few clicks of my mouse... wow. I love it.

So... c'mon. Where is that job, or those assignments? I suppose I oughta post my resume... but that is just so... industrial. As a technologically gifted Luddite I cringe. I'm different and I know I'm different. But I'm also just a regular guy. Blue collar, divorced, single dad raising 2 kids...

For those of you on drugs, I'll repeat:

if you have photographic needs -- portraits, weddings, natural scenics, events -- contact me. My email is on the sidebar on the left. I'd like to achieve a modicum of success while I'm alive (thank you very much!) and not become known as a talented photographer posthumously...

And... add to that that I can write. I know I'm no Pulitzer winner and I'm not prone to flowing, flowery prose but I write well, in a style that is comfortable for me and my readers. And I can research, interview... kick sand or grovel shamelessly (hey, even that time when I was hitchhiking and I sat in the backseat of a '68 Impala with a loaded 45 pointed six inches from my nose by someone high on PCP, traveling on a narrow 2 lane highway at 60 miles an hour, I avoided begging, I'll go shameless but not shameful)...

Anyway, pardon my self promotion. I'm just working to avoid the day when I have to become the greeter at MalWart...
~~~

I really wanted to talk some politics. The Olympics in particular, but just you know... stuff. Like my daughter's trip to Belize where she spent time in a small town with friends of the family. And was the guest of one of my old employers, Bill Conde. Search the name on Google. Or visit his website. Here is Bill these days. Poor guy, hanging out in the Carribean. Life in exile...



Now when I do have a real block of time I'm gonna havta get into that whole experience and share my attitude about this nation's second failed attempt at prohibition... our War On (some) Drugs. Aka Prohibition II... or maybe Prohibition 2.0... or it could even become a modern horror film with the title:

"Prohibition Vampires" or...



or even...



... and I thought about maybe talking baseball.



You know.. as an allegory for life. Teamwork and individual effort combining for success... that sort of thing.

But nah... I'll save all that for some day when I'm needing something to kick. I mean kicking the WO(s)D, not baseball... Today? Well...

... its Sunday morning and it is really really nice out... and there are blackberries to pick... cobbler to cook... mmm... blackberry cobbler...

~~~

Here, for your viewing pleasure, are this week's visual offerings:















~~~
“Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that ...”

~ George Carlin

~~~

1 comment:

Rain Trueax said...

If you haven't already done it, have you thought of entering your photos in various competitions. The Oregon State Fair is one that would give ribbons and some publicity. Also some do sell them over ebay, not sure how many or how much they make. It takes time to do, of course. Some galleries have photography as a feature and you might try submitting your work there also for fine art sales.